Sunday, July 18, 2010

Chicken Wings

I had my family over to watch the World Cup Finals last week and I wanted to have food that was hearty enough to be a meal, but easy to eat in front of the television. Also, we are all struggling to eat healthily these days, so I didn't want to make anything too salty, greasy or creamy. I know those are usually imperative qualifications for food consumed while watching sports, but I decided to give it a try. I decided on chicken wings that were baked instead of fried. I made two different kinds that I got off of Week of Menus, one of my favorite food blogs. I made the Sweet Spicy Sour Wings, recipe here, and the Garlic Ginger Honey Wings, recipe here. Both were really easy to make and both turned out really yummy. I made about 10 pounds and they went fast! On the side I had the obligatory celery and carrot sticks, but instead of a fatty and creamy blue cheese dressing, I used hummus as a dip. I also made a Soy-ccotash Salad to go along with everything.
Soy-ccotash Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Mix boiled edamame, grilled corn, grilled chopped zuccini, grilled chopped red peppers, chopped tomatoes, chopped red onions and a sprinkle of parsley. (You can add some grilled chicken or grilled shrimp if you like)

Lemon Vinaigrette
(makes 1/2 a cup)
1 tsp of Dijon mustard
2 1/2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
pinch of salt and pepper
Directions: mix in a jar and shake!

No comments:

Post a Comment