Monday, September 14, 2009

Homemade Pizza

Making pizza at home is one of my favorite things to do, so when my sister asked if I could help her make it over the weekend, I was thrilled. She's usually teaching me stuff, so it was fun to be the teacher this time. It's so easy and so tasty. You really get instant gratification. Making the dough at home from scratch is pretty simple, but time is money, so I prefer to just buy the dough raw at Whole Foods. It isn't expensive and all you need to do is roll it out when you get home. It is even easier if you can get them to run your dough through the flattening machine. Make sure to use pizza sauce and not pasta sauce, as it will be too watery. For the cheese I prefer to use fresh mozzarella logs rather than the shredded stuff, but it really doesn't matter. You can use any cheese you want and as many different kinds as you want. Then the toppings are up to you! I bake it at 500˚.

One tip I will leave with you is instead of using flour to dust your pizza peel and counter top, I find that using non-waxed parchment paper is better. I tend to go overboard with the flour and it can affect the pizza taste. But if you prepare your pizza on a sheet of parchment paper, it will be easier to drag it on the peel and also to transfer it to the pizza stone in your oven. It will also be easier to remove when it's done. It won't burn in the high temperature.

Have fun and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment