Thursday, October 15, 2009

Kombucha Tea



I've been meaning to post about this drink for awhile. I'm sure by now all of you have heard about Kombucha and it's myriad of health benefits. Kombucha is made up of live raw cultures and contains nutrients such as active enzymes, viable probiotics, amino acids, antioxidants and polyphenols. Long story short, it is supposed to be an amazing superfood.

Like all other superfoods, Kombucha is thought to have a funky taste. Slightly vinegary and acidic. Millennium has come out with a line of Kombucha tea, Syngery, that is mixed with just a little bit of fruit juice, which helps make it easier to take down. The result is really delicious and there are so many different flavors. Like my friend CD says, it's sort of like champagne, as it has a slight carbonated taste. You really feel energized afterwards and it is great for appetite control. And it is not just for the ladies. My Husband thought it wasn't bad, although he wasn't crazy about the price.

The price is a little steep at $4 a bottle and many people have resorted to making the cultures themselves at home. I would like to eventually try doing that, but I heard that it can also be risky and if you're not careful you might contaminate the cultures. Yikes. Check it out for yourselves. They sell it at Whole Foods. Also if you buy a case (which is just 12 bottles and you can mix and match flavors) you get 10% off. I really like Divine Grape, which tastes like Concord grapes! Guava Goodness and Strawberry Serenity are also pretty good. If you're a bit braver, you can try the ones that do not have any fruit juice in it and are 100% raw organic Kombucha. I suggest Botanic No. 3.

Açaí move over!

4 comments:

  1. is this a new healthy beverage(i call them miracle drinks) like acai/mona vie/mangosteen etc?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently it has been around for a long time and originated many moons ago in russia and asia. But now these companies are bottling it for us so we don't have to concoct it at home. And they have made it tastier!

    So yes, I think it is a "healthy beverage" aka "miracle drink". I think you'd like it. Let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It costs only pennies per bottle to make, and it's extremely safe to make at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrew, I've been nervous about trying to make it at home, but I would love to hear how you do it. How's the taste?!

    ReplyDelete