Thursday, October 8, 2009

Homemade Spaghetti and Meatballs


My Husband and I both love pasta, but we rarely eat it because of the carbs. Also, I prefer tomato-based savory sauces, whereas he enjoys the heavier creamy sauces. However, a pasta dish that we both love is good ol' fashioned spaghetti and meatballs. This is a dish where making things from scratch does not take much time. It's simple and easy to make a big batch if you have people over. Tonight my parents unexpectedly decided to stay over for dinner after cheering on the Dodgers, but it was not a problem. With this dish, I had more than enough.

Homemade Spaghetti and Meatballs
Makes about 4 servings

Ingredients:
1 pound spaghetti

Meatballs:
1 pound ground sirloin
1/2 onion, chopped very finely
3 cloves of garlic, chopped very finely
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used Italian seasoned)
1/4 grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 egg, beaten
1 egg white, beaten (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Sauce:
1 can (28oz) crushed tomatos
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 cup beef broth
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
handful of chopped fresh basil
handful of chopped fresh parsley
olive oil

Directions:

Spaghetti:
Bring a large pot of water to boil. When boiling add salt and pasta and cook to al dente.

Meatballs:
Preheat oven to 425.
Mix beef, Worcestershire, 1 beaten egg, garlic, onion, bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper.
Some say that the meatballs taste better after sitting in the fridge for a bit. But it's optional.
I put the beef mixture into the fridge for 2 hours. When I pulled it out I added the extra egg white to give it a bit of moisture.
Roll meat into 1 inch medium sized balls and place on nonstick cookie sheet
Bake for about 15 minutes, until no longer pink
Feel free to add the meatballs to the sauce while it is simmering

Sauce:
In a medium pot heat a little bit of olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, crushed red pepper, oregano. After 5 minutes or when onion is soft add the broth, crushed tomatoes, paste and fresh herbs. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes.

Serve with a side of Caesar salad, some garlic bread and a nice glass of red wine!

(For the garlic bread, I used a loaf of Italian bread. I spread a mixture of butter, garlic and fresh parsley. I baked the bread for about 10 minutes on 350F. After 10 minutes I pulled out the pan and sprinkled grated Parmesan cheese on each piece and put the pan back in for another 2-3 minutes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment