Monday, September 13, 2010

Chinese Stir-Fry with Fish Fillets

The Husband and I were recently in Toronto to visit with his family. While we were there we had so much good homemade Chinese food and also some really good restaurant Chinese food. I often feel bad to my Husband, because we often eat Korean food because my family is here with us in LA and that is what I usually cook. Don't get me wrong, he loves Korean food, but I know he misses some of his favorite Chinese dishes. Although LA is so diverse, we are definitely lacking in good Cantonese food in the city. Of course we could drive out to Alhambra, but we usually don't because it is out of the way.

Now that we are back, I have decided to make more of an effort to make the dishes that he finds most comfort in. I made a basic fish fillet with broccoli and I have to say, although the picture above is not very pretty, it was really spot on in taste! I've been trying to achieve that saucy Chinese flavor for a long time, and it was actually really simple all along! Next time, I'll be trying the same recipe with different seafood and more veggies.

Stir Fry Fish Fillets (adapted by )
Ingredients:
1 pound boneless fish fillets

Marinade:
1 tablespoon rice wine, dry sherry or white wine
a few drops sesame oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg white
1 - 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Other:
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 slices ginger, shredded
1/2 red onion, sliced
Sauce:
1/2 cup fish stock, chicken broth, or water
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed in 1 tablespoon water
Other:
Other vegetables as desired (celery, bean sprouts, snow peas, mushrooms or bok choy)
2 teaspoons ground coriander, or as desired

Directions:
1. Cut fish into pieces approximately 1 1/2 inches by 1/2 inch (be sure the pieces aren't too small). Add the marinade ingredients, adding each ingredient separately and the cornstarch last. Mix well and let the fish marinate for 10 minutes.

2. Prepare the sauce: In a small bowl, combine the first 3 sauce ingredients and set aside. In a second bowl, combine the cornstarch and water and set aside.

3. Heat the wok. Add 2 tablespoons oil to the heated wok. Add the fish fillets and sear until lightly browned. Remove the fish from the wok.

4. Add 2 tablespoons oil to the wok. Add the garlic, ginger, and onion and cook until the onion is lightly browned. Add the remaining vegetables and stir-fry. Add the sauce, heat to bubbling, and add the cornstarch and water, stirring quickly to thicken. Add the fish back into the wok. Mix everything through. Sprinkle the cooked fish and vegetables with the ground coriander before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Yay~ you're back! I've been patiently awaiting your return ^_^ What kind of fish did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Yes I am! Thank you for reading!!

    I think any white fish will do, but I used Cod Fillets.

    ReplyDelete