Monday, August 23, 2010

Oven Fried Chicken

I recently bought a bunch of chicken drumsticks and I was craving some good ol' fried chicken. As I was searching online for ideas, I came across many mouth watering recipes and pictures. But I found myself just passing through the traditional "buttermilk, flour, egg, deep fried" recipes. I didn't want to turn my kitchen into a greasy mess and I'm desperately trying to eat healthy and lose some LBs. However, I had a craving, and I was determined to satisfy it.

I really wanted to use the oven as opposed to frying. So I decided to just lightly coat the drumsticks in Panko crumbs to make the chicken a little crispy and then season it a bit to give it a little flavor.

1. Preheat oven to 360
2. Coat each drumstick with melted butter
3. Roll each coated drumstick in bread crumbs
4. Place drumsticks onto the baking sheet lined with parchment paper (no stick & easy clean up)
5. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper (and any other seasoning you prefer: I like garlic powder)
6. Bake for approximately 60 minutes

I had no idea how these were going to turn out. In fact I was bracing myself for the drumsticks to turn out blah, but I was pleasantly surprised! They were lightly crispy and flavorful from the seasoning. They were even better as a cold snack the next day! That might sound weird to you, but I love cold chicken drumsticks! The best part about it, was that they were baked and not fried and clean up was a breeze. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. i LOVE oven fried chicken. My grandma always made it and my mom makes it. Another good variation, salt the chicken, dip in egg, coat with cracker meal seasoned with black pepper and a little bit of garlic powder.

    ReplyDelete